Saturday, January 5, 2008

Meaningful Architecture: Art & Expression

artexpression
















Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum




Jerusalem, Israel




Architect: Moshe Safdie

(photos taken from msafdie.com)






To me this project is a work of art that holds deep expression. Like a deep wound cut into your side, so this museum expresses a cut that cannot be hid and bursts out of the side of the mount of remembrance. Made of solid reinforced, and post tensioned concrete this museum is stark, however beautiful as the concrete defies gravity as if if were made of feathers. To me art is an expression that also causes emotion. I don't think you can separate art from architecture.











4 comments:

Melissa said...

This building is spectacular. I'd love to see a few more examples of your favorites.

Chris Parker said...

Curtis,
Great example. I agree with your comment that architecture cannot be separated with art. What an amazing experience it must be to walk through that building. I would love to see that in person, the simple diagram can really be seen from the aerial photo and would have to make an impressive statement from eye level.
Chris

Eric Randall said...

Curtis you have quite a strong and powerful verbal description that compliments your choices nicely and I'd like to hire you to do contract text writing for me!

Joking aside, if time permits I know I would absolutely love to see you assemble these images in some kind of formatted presentation because I think your descriptions are so incredibly powerful that your words could enhance everyone's viewing experience of these places even more.

Great work.

enno said...

Curtis,

To get the boring comments out of the way first: bring your collection into the presentation format and find other projects that fall in your categories.

I am looking forward on a discussion on art and architecture and how both seek an emotional response. However, the emotional effect is a result of our perception and may lead us also to an interlectual or spiritual response. The categories Art and Emotion are a great starting point for a rich discussion.