Saturday, January 5, 2008

Meaningful Architecture: Construction&Materials

construction materials
(photos from bcj.com)













Gosline House



Seattle, Washington

Architect: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson




I chose this project because it’s simplicity and loyalty to materials and construction. I first learned of this house from a professor who used to work for this firm.This house is a perfect example that a dwelling can designed specifically for a client and not look like the neighbors house. This house is built with common construction materials used in a “custom” home, 2x6’s 2x12’s glu lam’s, steel beams etc. What makes this house meaningful to me is how it is constructed. I am sure that if you took this house apart you could rebuild a house to conform with the rest of the houses in the neighborhood. They simply responded to the owners personal needs and budget, as well the site. The materials on this house ordinary, but the house is not. That means alot to me, especially because I used to build homes and know what it's like to frame a "custom" home over and over again.

















6 comments:

MCS said...

Curtis,
I loved the examples you used for "Construction & Materials." While attempting to assemble my collections I came across several photos from architect James Cutlter (who I think you would also appreciate http://www.cutler-anderson.com/) - but I had a hard time putting "meaning" behind the images, since I had never actually been to any of his houses. But you did a nice job incorporating your childhood memories as a way to relate to meaning.

I also liked the previous section on "Emotion" and the building that you selected. The analogy of car shopping was a great way to describe how you were feeling. (I even had my husband read your posting - hes a chiropractor and doesnt know a lot about design/architecture/why buildings have meaning...) and your description really gave him an idea of how buildings can produce emotions inside us.

Nice presentation!

Melissa said...

I looked up the website michelle left, very cool! I want to know more about this house. I guess I was surprised how impressed you were with the materials they used. Do most contemporary homes you've come across use more unusual materials?

MCS said...

After doing a little more research, I found that Cutler did in fact work on this particular project with Bohlin Cywiniski Jackson. Go figure!

Chad R. Kohler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad R. Kohler said...

Even though I do not have the piece of paper that tells me so, I basically have an associates degree in Construction Management. I was quite pleased to see somebody did a category of "Construction and Materials," kind of wishing I had figured that one out.

I have a respect for constructability, not always an agreement, but a respect. To be able to use a wide variety of materials is something that is always a challenge. To avoid using brick and stone, that usually becomes cumbersome, is sometimes a challenge. Even just, as some as your pictures show, exposed structure is sometimes a powerful feature and feeling.

enno said...

Curtis,

This category nicely complements the two previous ones: it makes clear what distinguishes architecture from art, but also shows that "ordinary" housing (as opposed to monumental museums)can have a captivating expression and be "inspiring" to borrow from another category that came up.

Especially the first image shows how clevery light was used in the project to accentuate spaces and materials. While not a museum, the building has a meaning beyond its immediate function.

Overall you have a well balanced set of criteria and projects!

Enno